Friday 12 April 2013

Sewing Patterns - paper or digital?

I started sewing some 20-odd years ago, and have only recently taken up this hobby again.  How many things have changed in the meantime!  How many extra buttons are now in the sewing machines that make sewing so much more enjoyable!

And the patterns:  how interesting that we get to have our very own patterns, printed at home, thus saving primarily on postage.  I remember finding some exquisite patterns in American sites, only to realise that shipping charges to Europe would triple the original price...

So, off to my first such purchase:  for a novice like myself, I rather liked the fact that Sewing Patterns has an extensive collection from all major (and other) makes.  I immediately ordered a nice little bunch of patterns, and off I went to print...

what am I supposed to do again?

Ahem... it  does look weird.  My logical mind tries to explain that if I were to cut a usual pattern sheet from a magazine, it would look exactly the same, still it takes a while to sink in...

What I liked:  the fact that I can have a pattern instantly!  If ever I find myself in a pattern drama (...), I know I can have something within 5 minutes!  Plus, the print is much larger, there are far fewer lines, making the project easier to trace and cut!

aahhh.... now I get it!
What I'm not sure about:  the file is available for one year, and I can print it up to 3 times.  Of course, this is more than I'll ever need, still the fact that there is a limit suddenly made me think again.  Some of my (postal) patterns lie there for several years before I decide I want to use one of them.  Now, I'm "obliged" to print almost immediately, lest I forget... OK, I'm exaggerating, but there is some food for thought!

Will I switch to digital patterns?  For the time being, I think I'll stick to the original pattern sheets, in their little envelope.  I like the idea that all information is kept in one place, waiting for me to pick it up!  On the other hand, I'll continue experimenting with the digital ones, just to make myself accustomed to this new technique - plus, there are several free patterns to be had (I'm making this top pretty soon!).  It reminds me of when e-books started...

No comments:

Post a Comment