Thursday 27 November 2014

Knitting: baby blanket

There is nothing better than to handcraft a present for a new life.  I was moved when my friend Jessi asked me to make a blanket for her first baby and I wanted to make this a special one.

After several patterns, she and her husband chose the Daisy pattern, which in the beginning slightly disappointed me:  I thought it was way too easy, and wouldn't show off my craftsmanship!


Was I wrong... This pattern is fairly difficult to learn - but at least once learned, it's easy to memorise and I did not even need to keep track of my knitting.  I just stopped at 70 cm and started the edging.


But starting from the beginning:  as the sex of the baby was not known (it's a boy!), I went with trusted colour green.  But not just any green:  groovy green if you please!  The yarn is Baby Bamboo from Sirdar and I really loved the fact it's 80% bamboo -- so soft, and so right for a newborn!

I slightly changed the pattern (as I always do) and cast on 204 stitches, working with 4.0mm bamboo needles.  The blanket was my true companion many evenings in front of the TV, in the early hours of the day when I couldn't sleep, and even traveled with me abroad and kept me sane after long days of meetings...

But even in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine it would turn out this beautiful.  I'm really pleased with the result and it made me embrace all those little presents that make a new addition in life so much more comfortable - welcome to the world baby John!



1 comment: